a. These laboratories are located at two departments of the Institute:
i. Nutrition Research
ii. Food Technology Research
Laboratory of Nutrition Research
1. This laboratory consists advanced systems as UV visible spectrophotometers, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC),
2. Gamma Counter, Potentiometer Stripping Analyses (PSA system), Electrophoresis, PCR Thermal cycler, ELISA plate Reader, and bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), radioisotope. Routine biochemical, hematological and microbiological tests may also be done therein. The laboratory staff have different backgrounds including nutritional science,
3. Pure chemistry, medical technology, and medical microbiology, working on different aspects of nutritional science. On occasion,
4. Graduate and post-graduate students may also be working on their research projects in these labs.
Laboratory of Food Technology Research
1. There are two laboratories including food microbiology and food chemistry & technology.
2. Routine chemical, microbiological and analytical tests of food quality control may be done. Since there are some general analytical instruments for food chemistry such as soxhlet, kjeldahl system and advanced instruments like HPLC system with three detectors (UV, FL, and RI), packed and capillary GC/FID system, atomic absorption, NIR (Near Infra-Red) spectroscope, and spectrofluorometer, it is possible to analyze many food components such as vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids.
3. There are also some opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students to run their research projects in these labs.
4. The laboratory staff has different, but inter-related backgrounds including food sciences, nutritional sciences, biochemistry, microbiology, and lab sciences.